Friday, August 13, 2010

Iced Tea

So as of late I've been attempting to find substitutes for soda. Don't get me wrong, I can go without soda; I did it for all of 2007 after all. But no soda and small amounts of juice would only leave me with water, and you can really only have so much water before you get sick of it.

With that in mind, I decided to try iced tea. I love hot tea, I even had it in my bottle when I was a baby, for crying out loud. Plus I'm Scottish, and that means you naturally love tea (I think I read that in some genetics book), so one would think that iced tea would be just fine. But all past experiences with the drink have proven one thing: I don't like iced tea.

But with time comes new tastes in things and I got to wondering if perhaps iced tea was like haggis, hating it at first and in time coming to enjoy it. With that in mind, I decided to try iced tea once again.

-One Week Later-

I hate iced tea.

Well, no, I don't hate iced tea. Not anymore, at least. But I dislike it very much. If I have to choose between iced tea and water, I'm picking water every time. The taste is just... ugh. I don't even know how to describe it, to be honest. Snapple especially blows, their tea was so strong that it was like tea leaves were punching my tongue with every sip (gulping was not an option, tried it once and felt like I was going to throw up). The closest I came to liking iced tea was, believe it or not, hot Lipton that had been chilled with a huge glass full of crushed ice. I think the reason for that one may be both the freshness and the ice watering down the flavor and making something not as strong as the other kinds I tried.

That said, I'm not quite ready to give up on this. If you happen to have any iced tea recommendations for me, by all means leave them in the comments so I can search for them and give them a shot. If you recommend something I haven't tried yet, I'll be sure to blog my reactions to each new tea.

1 comment:

  1. try mint! or green.

    Brew for 3 or 4 minutes hot, then pour over ice. All teas have different temperatures and brew times that make them taste best. mint is 4 or 5 minutes, green is 3. Black usually likes 4 minutes. Sweeten to taste.

    ReplyDelete