Sunday, November 14, 2010

An Old and New Concern

That other journal entry I mentioned in the previous post? Still can't get to the photos. So in the meantime...

I see antiques and collectibles from the past, things made with remarkable craftsmanship and quality, items built to last long, maybe even longer than their owners, and I wonder about the stuff being built today. Mass-produced stuff made of materials that are built to last maybe until the next version of the same thing comes out a few years later. We focus on the cheaper stuff; cheap materials, cheap labor, cheap packaging, cheap cheap CHEAP.

The reason why I wonder is because I'm concerned about a future scenario, one where my kids or grandkids see things that were built in my lifetime before they were born and think to themselves not "what a beautiful antique" but "what a piece of broken-down garbage". Such a future sounds quite bleak, at least from a cultural standpoint.

Perhaps I'm wrong. I hope I am. Maybe I'm just not seeing where all of the uniquely-forged items are, or maybe I don't know of the companies that want handmade quality that'll make you a one-time customer because you never need to replace it.

But you know, perhaps that obscurity is what will make the future antiques that much more appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment